Water & Wastewater (Sanitary Sewage)

The County of Prince Edward Water and Wastewater Services Department is responsible for the administration, maintenance and operation of The County's drinking water systems and wastewater systems.  For more information regarding the activities undertaken by the Water and Wastewater Services Department, please select from one options below:

Drinking Water System
Annual Hydrant Flushing
Water Restrictions
Locates for underground water & wastewater infrastructure
Water & Wastewater Billing
Contact Us

‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌Drinking Water

The County of Prince Edward is committed to providing safe drinking water to customers served by municipal systems. Water treatment and distribution systems are maintained according to legislation and industry standards. Samples are regularly collected and tested for the presence of chemicals and bacteria.

The County's Drinking Water Quality Policy

A Quality Management System is in place for the drinking water treatment and distribution systems under the operational authority of The Corporation of The County of Prince Edward (The County). The County owns, maintains, and operates:

  • The Picton Water Treatment Plant and Distribution System, servicing Picton and Bloomfield
  • The Wellington Water Treatment Plant and Distribution System
  • The Ameliasburgh Water Treatment Plant and Distribution System
  • The Peat’s Point Water Treatment Plant and Distribution System
  • The stand-alone distribution system that services Consecon and Carrying Place
  • The stand-alone distribution system that services Rossmore and Fenwood Gardens

The County is committed to:

  • Providing a consistent supply of safe drinking water to all consumers of The County's municipal drinking water systems;
  • Operating, maintaining, and managing The County's drinking water systems in a responsible manner in accordance with applicable legislative/regulative requirements, and documented quality management procedures, and;
  • The maintenance and continual improvement of the Quality Management System.

Through the implementation of the Quality Management System, The County is dedicated to accomplishing these goals through commitment, support and participation from all levels of the organizational structure, including The Owner, Upper Management and all personnel associated with the management, operation and maintenance of the drinking water systems. Each component of the organizational structure shares in the responsibility of implementing, maintaining and contributing to the continual improvement of the Drinking Water Quality Management System.

R2, October 16, 2016

Drinking Water Annual and Summary Reports

Hydrant Flushing and Fire Flow Testing  

Hydrant flushing is part of the annual maintenance program for the water distribution system. Flushing occurs in order to ensure a consistent supply of safe drinking water is available to all consumers of The County's municipal drinking water system, to confirm that the distribution system valves and hydrants are in good working order, and to support fire protection.

Flushing removes particles and minerals that form over time inside the water mains, widening the pathway for water to flow. Watermain flushing and preventative maintenance on fire hydrants are conducted on an annual basis, or more often in some areas. 

Watermain Flushing & Hydrant Maintenance Program Schedule 

Spring Program: April - June

  • Wellington Drinking Water System
  • Picton/Bloomfield Drinking Water System

  Summer Program: July - August

  • Consecon/Carrying Place Drinking Water System
  • Rossmore/Fenwood Gardens Drinking Water System

Fall Program: September - October

  • Wellington Drinking Water System
  • Picton/Bloomfield Drinking Water System

Specific information about when flushing is happening in your neighbourhood are posted on the Construction, Closures and Service Disruptions page and The County's social media accounts. 

Fire hydrant flow testing and rating is conducted to support fire protection in The County. To conduct fire hydrant flow testing, certified drinking water operators operate hydrants throughout the distribution system and record information about the hydrant flow rate and pressure. Hydrant colour coding is assigned to each hydrant based on the rating results of the fire flow testing. Fire fighters use the fire hydrant rating results to anticipate the water supply available through a hydrant when they arrive at the scene of a fire. 

When hydrant flushing or fire flow testing is underway, customers in the area are asked to avoid excessive water use; for example, running tap water for extended periods, using the washing machine and dish washer simultaneously, or using municipal water for outdoor purposes such as washing vehicles or watering plants.

During times when hydrant flushing or fire hydrant flow testing are underway, deposits that normally occur in the water pipes of the distribution system can be disturbed. This is as a result of changes in the direction and speed that water is flowing through the distribution system water pipes. Customers in the immediate area where hydrant flushing or flow testing is being conducted may experience intermittent pressure fluctuations, lower than normal water pressure while hydrants are being operated, and some discolouration of tap water. This does not affect the safety or quality of your water. 

If coloured water occurs at a home or business when hydrant flushing or flow testing is underway, customers should run the cold water tap closest to the water meter for a few minutes until tap water runs clear. Customers are advised to wait until the water runs clear at the tap before doing laundry or running the dishwasher. Using discoloured water in a washing machine could result in stained laundry. More information about what to expect during hydrant flushing and how to manage coloured water can be viewed or printed from Hydrant Flushing Schedule and Fact Sheet.

Water Restrictions

Water use can increase by 50% or more at drinking water treatment facilities during summer months as a result of increased water usage for outdoor purposes, like watering grass and washing vehicles. Significant increases in water use can result in impacts to water supply in the resulting in:

  • lower water pressures in The County's distribution system, 
  • reduced available water storage
  • additional stress on facility operation
  • increased system impacts 
  • low water levels in surrounding water bodies and groundwater

To limit impacts of increased water usage, The County may regulate the use of drinking water for outside purposes through the Water Conservation By-Law. Water restrictions may implemented seasonally or not at all depending on the conditions in the water treatment facility and source water in a given year. For customers connected to the Peat's Point drinking water system, water restrictions remain in place year-round. 

Wastewater (Sanitary Sewage)

Two plants facilitate the treatment and collection of wastewater in Prince Edward County. Wastewater Treatment Plants are located in Wellington and Picton, servicing approximately 3,500 households.

An overview of operational information and events is compiled for the Picton and Wellington Wastewater Treatment and Collection Systems on an annual basis. For more information, view the Wastewater Services Annual Performance Reports, 2019 . For historical reports, or questions regarding County of Prince Edward Wastewater Treatment and Collection Systems, please contact us here.

The Sanitary Sewer Use By-Law 1803-2006 outlines information on the control of discharges to the municipal sewer system.

The Water and Wastewater Department does not oversee private septic systems, storm sewers, ditches or drainage basins. For more information about private septic system permits, please visit our Building Department's webpage. Information about storm sewers, ditches and drainage basins can be obtained from The County's Operations Department at 613.476.6505 or operations@pecounty.on.ca. 


The Development Services Department performs locates for underground water and wastewater infrastructure. The County's Damage Prevention Technician receives excavation locate requests and notifies registered owners of underground facilities within the vicinity of the planned excavation. Call before you dig for free locates! Visit www.on1call.com for more information.

Contact the Water and Wastewater Department

General Inquiries: The Water and Wastewater Department can be contacted by email at water@pecounty.on.ca or by calling 613.476.2148 

Emergency Response: Emergency response and on-call coverage is provided 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Emergencies can be reported at any time to the on-call operator:

  • For Drinking Water and Wastewater related emergencies, call 613.967.8777.

Billing Inquiries: The Revenue Department can be contacted by email regarding billing inquiries waterbilling@pecounty.on.ca, or by calling , please call 613.476.2148 x 1527. 

Storm Sewer, Ditch, Drainage Basin Inquiries: The Roads Operations Department can be contacted by email at operations@pecounty.on.ca or by calling 613.476.6505

General notifications and service disruptions caused by either planned or emergency repairs or maintenance on the drinking water and wastewater treatment systems will be posted on our Construction, Closures and Service Disruptions page. 

Water and Wastewater Billing and Payment Options

Water and Wastewater billing is overseen by Revenue Services, a branch of the County's Revenue Department. Rates for Water and Wastewater Services are set by Council in By-Law 4018-2017 Water and Sanitary Sewage Service.

For billing inquiries, call 613.476.2148 x 1540. If you move, please fill out the change of address form and drop it off at Shire Hall (332 Picton Main Street, Picton, ON) or email waterbilling@pecounty.on.ca

Electronic Billing

Water and wastewater customers can receive their invoices electronically.

The e-bill includes the same information as a paper bill. Billing dates and available payment options remain the same. E-billing reduces paper waste and allows you to view your most recent bill as soon as its available.

Download the ‌e-billing form and return it to the County of Prince Edward, 332 Picton Main Street, Picton, ON K0K 2T0 or e-mail waterbilling@pecounty.on.ca.

Payment Options

You can pay your water bill online.

Preauthorized payment of water and wastewater bills is also available. Follow the links bellow for the registration form and cancellation form.

Equalized Payment Plan

The equalized payment plan provides you with a convenient schedule for paying your water and wastewater bills.

On the plan, you will receive a bi-monthly bill showing your actual usage, but you will make a fixed monthly payment based on your average usage.

Once a year in the fall — September or October depending on the billing cycle — you will receive a reconciliation bill that will charge or credit you for the difference between the monthly payments made and the actual consumption charged to your account. The reconciliation bill must be paid in full by the due date in order to continue participating in the plan. At that time, your consumption will be reviewed and a new updated installment amount for the upcoming year will be set.

The County will contact you to confirm your calculated average monthly payments when you enroll.

Download the Equalized Billing Application Form.

Completed forms can be returned to Shire Hall (332 Picton Main Street, Picton, ON) or emailed to waterbilling@pecounty.on.ca

Equalized Payment Plan FAQs

  • What amount will be deducted?

    The amount deducted will be a fixed amount equal to the average of your billing history over the previous 12 months. The final month (in September/October) will be a reconciliation bill between monthly payments made and actual usage.

  • Am I qualified to enroll in the Equalized Payment Plan?

    To qualify for enrolment in the Equalized Payment Plan, you will be required to sign up for pre-authorized monthly debit (PAD). A dishonored payment will result in a fee added to your account. More than one dishonoured pre-authorized payment may result in removal from the plan. You must also have a minimum of 12 months of billing history at your current address.

  • Can I discontinue my enrolment in the Equalized Payment Plan?

    You can choose to discontinue participation by providing written notice to Water and Wastewater Billing at least 20 days in advance of the payment due date.

  • Is there anything else I should know about the Equalized Payment Plan?

    If you are enroled in the Equalized Payment Plan, you are encouraged to monitor your consumption. To avoid unexpected amounts owing, any significant changes should be communicated to Water and Wastewater Billing. Some of those changes could include:

    • Change in consumption pattern (more or less people in your household)
    • Abnormal consumption (leaks in your home)
    • Continual increase in the difference between amount owing and the amount being paid

  • How do I contact Water and Wastewater Billing?

    You can e-mail us at waterbilling@pecounty.on.ca or call us at 613-476-2148 ex 1527. You may also visit us in person at Shire Hall or mail to: 332 Main Street Picton, ON K0K 2T0.