Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to a number of frequently asked questions are posted below.

If your question is not answered, or if you wish to leave a comment, please fill out the online form on the Customer Service page or call 613.476.2148 ext 1023. 

Have a Question? Ask Us.

  • When do I need a Building / Demolition permit?


    You must get a Building/Demolition permit before you:

    • build a new structure larger than 10 square meters
    • build or place a new structure, such as a mobile home, on your property
    • renovate or put an addition on to an existing home/building
    • in certain cases, putting up signage on your building
    • build a garage, balcony, or deck or enclose an existing deck
    • excavate or construct a foundation
    • install or modify any life safety or fire suppression system such as fire alarms, sprinkler or standpipe or fixed extinguishing systems including commercial kitchen exhaust hoods and the installation of electromagnetic locking devices
    • install or modify heating, plumbing, and air conditioning systems, fireplaces, fireplace inserts, woodstoves, or chimneys
    • install kitchen or bathroom cupboards with plumbing
    • install a swimming pool enclosure
    • change a buildings use
    • install, alter, extend or repair on-site sewage systems
    • demolish any building or structure

  • When don't I need a Building / Demolition permit?


    You do not require a building permit if you are: 

    • building a new structure that is under 10 sq m (108 sq ft) 
    • replacing existing doors and windows without changing their sizing 
    • installing siding 
    • re-shingling a roof, provided there is no structural work 
    • installing eavestrough, provided that drainage is contained on your property 
    • painting or decorating 
    • reinstalling or replacing kitchen or bathroom cupboard, provided you are not altering plumbing 
    • building a fence (except for around a swimming pool) 

  • What happens if I don't get a permit?


    It is unlawful to start construction without the required permits. Unpermitted work may result in a stop work order, removal of work that has been completed, and prosecution for breaking of the Ontario Building Code Act. If you are not sure whether you need a permit for your project, please contact the County of Prince Edward Building Services.

  • How / Where can I apply for a permit or get more information?


    County of Prince Edward, Building Services
    280 Main Street, 2nd Floor, Picton (The Edward Building)
    613.476.2148 ext. 2041

  • What is the maximum size of shed that can be built without a permit?


    10 square metres (108 square feet).

  • Do I need a permit to replace my windows?


    No, as long as the size of the window is not changing.

  • Do I need a permit to replace my shingled roof?


    No, as long as there is no structural work required.

  • My neighbour's dog is barking, can you do anything?


    Yes. Please contact Canine Control/By-law Enforcement at 613.476.2148 ext 2046 to report the incident.  An Enforcement Officer will be happy to assist you.

  • When can a dog go unleashed?


    Apart from when on their owners property or at the Prince Edward County off-leash dog park, dogs must be leashed at all times.

  • My dog ran away. What should I do?


    Contact Canine Control/Bylaw Enforcement at 613.476.2148 ext 2046 and they can let you know if they have picked up your dog or have received any calls about your dog.

  • Where can I buy a dog tag?


    Dog tags can be purchased online, in person and by mail. Check here for detailed information.

  • Does PEC Canine Control deal with wild animals?


    No. Contact the Ministry of Natural Resources.

  • Does PEC Canine Control deal with cats?


    No. Contact Loyalist Humane Society.

  • When do you have to pay for metered parking?


    Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm but not Statutory Holidays.

  • Where can I pay a parking ticket?


    Shire Hall located at 332 Main Street, Picton, 280 Picton Main Street, 2nd floor, or you can pay tickets online.

  • What is the maximum allowable height of grass/weeds?


    20 cm (8 inches).

  • When does the noise by-law begin?


    Between 11:00pm and 7:00am in a residential area, and between 2:00pm and 7:00am in all other zones.

  • Can I put up signs on posts/public property for events?


    Not without municipal approval. For more information contact or 613.476.2148 ext. 2041.

  • Can I leave my garbage out for the week if it wasn't picked up?


    No - please report missed pick-ups by calling 613.476.2148 x1023 or contacting Customer Service.

  • Does the property standards by-law apply to the aesthetics of the building?


    No - property standards only apply to the surrounding (outdoor) property.

  • What are the requirements to get a Lottery Licence?


    Please visit our Clerk's Office page for more information about applying for a lottery licence.

  • What are the requirements to get a Marriage Licence?


    Please visit our Clerk's Office page for more information on how to get a marriage licence.

  • When is the next Municipal Election?


    The next municipal election is taking place on October 22, 2018. For more information about municipal elections, please visit the Clerk's Office page.

  • Where do I find information on Council meetings and agendas?


    Please follow this link.

  • How do I make a formal request for information under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act?


    Requests for information can be made by simply contacting the appropriate department within the municipality, and asking for the desired information. If the information is not available, a formal request can be made under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (the Act) using the Access to Information Request Form.

    The Clerk’s Office is responsible for the administration of the Act, including receiving and processing access requests on behalf of the County, providing advice to administration, serving members of the public and helping to ensure that the privacy requirements of the Act are met. For more information and frequently asked questions, please download our Accessing Municipal Information package.

  • What is the cost of a marriage licence?



  • What is the cost of a Lottery Licence?


    3% of total value of prizes.

  • I am taking my child across the border. What documentation is required to show that my partner consents?


    Please click here for the Consent Letter.

  • When using the GIS viewer my property boundaries are not lining up with the aerial imagery. Why?


    The property layer was originally drawn from paper maps created before modern survey technology existed.  As new surveys are created the property layer is updated with better information. We do our best to ensure that each property is displayed as accurately as possible. Do not rely on the parcel boundaries for legal administrative purposes, always check with a lawyer and the records at the Land Registry Office.

  • Can I have or purchase a copy of your GIS information?


    No, the Corporation of the County of Prince Edward only shares data with individuals or organizations contracted to carry out specific projects on behalf of the organization.

  • What if I make a Freedom of Information Request?


    All Freedom of Information requests must be sent to and reviewed by the County Clerk for approval.

  • Where can I find a list of fees and charges?


    Please click Fees and Charges By-law ‌ to download a listing.

  • How can I find out about most recent job postings?


    All job opportunities with The County can be found on our Job Opportunities web page.  This page is updated on a regular basis.  An e-mail confirmation will be issued once the HR department has received your application.

  • When will I be contacted for an interview?


    Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The personal information collected will be used in accordance with The Municipal Act and The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and shall only be used in the selection of a suitable candidate.

  • Can I apply for more than one position at a time?


    You are encouraged to apply for any and all positions you are interested in.  Please submit one individual application for each position.  If you are applying by hard copy or fax, please ensure that the title of the position of interest is clearly identified on your application.

  • Is my information safe? Who can access it?


    Your information is safe. Only HR staff and the hiring manager will have access to your application. You may also refer to "The Municipal Act and The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act"

  • What is the zoning on my property?


    Each property is individually zoned.  Please check GIS map or contact Planning Services at 613.476.2148 ext. 2000.

  • May I sever my property?


    Severances depend on several different factors, therefore, please contact a Planner at 613.476.2148 ext. 2000 who can review your request.

  • I would like to go to court concerning my ticket. When and where do I go?


    Contact the Provincial Offences Clerk at 613.476.2148 ext 1524 or in person at 332 Main Street (Shire Hall) to obtain and confirm court dates. The Provincial Offences Court House is located at 67 King Street, Picton.

  • What Services are provided at the Court House at 67 King Street?


    Provincial Offence trials and early resolution meetings are held at the Court House at 67 King Street; however, all of these dates are booked in advance at Shire Hall.  Please call our Provincial Offences Administration Clerk at 613.476.2148 x1524.

  • My mailbox was damaged by the snow plow. What should I do?


    If your mailbox has been damaged as a result of road operations or maintenance, call 613.476.2148 ext 4000 or e-mail If a Roads Manager (or designate) deems that the mailbox was in good repair prior to the incident, the Municipality will replace the damaged unit (free of charge) with a wood post (6” diameter and 8 foot length) and a standard metal box. Only damaged parts will be replaced, unless approved otherwise by the Road Manager or designate. The Municipality does not replace units that are damaged by pushed snow.

  • How can I report a roads problem?


    PEC Roads Department or

    613.476.2148 ext 4000

  • When are property taxes due?


    • For properties within the Residential, Farmland, Managed Forest and Pipeline property classes, taxes are due March, June, and September 15 (or the next business day if the 15 falls on a Saturday, Sunday or Statutory Holiday).
    • For properties within the Commercial, Industrial and Multi-Residential property classes, taxes are due March, September and November 15 (or the next business day if the 15 falls on a Saturday, Sunday or Statutory Holiday).

  • When does the County of Prince Edward mail the tax bills?


    • The interim tax bill is mailed in early February and is due March 15. The final bill is mailed in early May and consists of two instalments.

  • Who do I make my cheque out to?


    • Please make your cheque payable to County of Prince Edward.

  • How do I contact the tax office?


    You can reach the tax department by calling us at 613-476-2148 or 613-962-9108 ext. 1530.

    Our mailing address is: 332 Main Street, Picton, Ontario K0K 2T0

    Our fax number is: 613.476.8356

    General Tax Department:

    Visit our website page, Tax and Revenue, for more information. 

  • How can I tell which property class my property is in?


    Properties, or portions of a property, are classified according to the property’s use.  Each category represents a different tax class.  In Prince Edward County there are 7 tax classes, residential making up 90% of the total tax revenue. The other classes include Commercial, Industrial, Multi-Residential, Pipeline, Managed Forest and Farmland.

    Your tax bill has a heading called “Tax Class”.  Under this heading you will see letters such as RTEP or CTN. The first letter represents the Tax Class, the second represents the Type of Property (Qualifier), the third and fourth letters represent the School Support and Tax Direction Designation.

    Realty Tax Class                                                       Realty Tax Qualifier

    C – Commercial                                                           T – Taxable Full

    F – Farmland                                                               U – Excess Land

    I – Industrial                                                               X – Vacant Land

    J – Industrial (New construction)

    L – Large Industrial

    M – Multi-Residential

    P – Pipelines

    R – Residential

    T – Managed Forest

    X – Commercial (New construction)


    School Support and Tax Direction Designation


    EP – English Public School Board

    ES – English Separate School Board

    FP – French Public School Board

    FS – French Separate School Board

    N –   No Support – Split between the 4 School Boards based on enrollment percentage

  • How are property taxes calculated?


    • Property taxes are calculated by multiplying your assessed value by the municipal tax rate and the education tax rate. The education tax rate is set by the Province of Ontario. The formula is:
      • Assessed value X municipal tax rate = amount of municipal property tax
      • Assessed value X education tax rate = amount of education property tax
      • Municipal property tax + education property tax = your total property taxes

  • What hours is the tax office open?


    The Tax Department is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

  • What methods can I use to pay my property taxes?


    • Cash
    • Cheque (or post-dated cheque)
    • Interac (Debit)
    • Internet or telephone banking
    • Pre-authorized payment (monthly or by instalment).
    • Online payment available through this website.

  • I didn’t receive my tax bill. Do I still have to pay my taxes?


    • Yes. It is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure that the municipality has your correct mailing address. Failure to receive a tax bill does not absolve the property owner from any taxes due or from penalty for late payment.

  • How do I change my mailing address?


    • Change of address must be received in writing. Please submit your change of address form as soon as possible in order to ensure your next tax bill is mailed to you correctly and on time. You can:

  • I pay taxes through my mortgage and my mortgage company is supposed to pay my property taxes. Why did I get the tax bill?


    • If your bill is marked “THIS TAX BILL IS FOR YOUR INFORMATION ONLY. A COPY HAS BEEN FORWARDED TO YOUR MORTGAGE COMPANY FOR PAYMENT”, the copy of your tax notice is for your information only. This ensures that you are aware of the amount of your property taxes for the current year.
    • If your bill is not marked that it has gone to your mortgage company for payment, then your mortgage company has not notified the municipality that they are responsible for the payment of your property taxes. You should forward this bill on to your mortgage company for payment and ask them to send a letter to the municipality to add their interest in your property and forward all future bills to them.

  • I pay my taxes through a monthly pre-authorized payment plan. Why did I get a bill and do I have to pay the amount shown?


    • You have received a bill in order that you are aware of the total amount of your current year’s property taxes. You do not have to pay any amount shown on the bill. The amount shown on your bill is the amount on your tax account at the time the bill is printed. In August, you will receive a letter from the County of Prince Edward notifying you what your payment will be on September 15 and what your amount for the next year’s taxes will be, beginning October 15.

  • How can I pay for my damage/cancellation deposit and rental fee?


    You have two options for paying your fees:

    Option 1: 115 County Road 10 (Lake Street), Picton, Ontario we currently accept debit, cash and cheques between the hours of 7am and 3:30pm. 

    Option 2: Shire Hall 332 Main Street, Picton we accept cash, credit, debit or cheques between the hours of 8:30am and 5pm.

  • What makes my booking final?


    Your booking becomes final when the application is filled out and the damage/cancellation fee is paid.

  • Can I have alcohol at my town hall event?


    If you would like to serve alcohol at your event, you must coordinate the running of the bar.  You also must purchase a Special Occasion Permit from the LCBO (takes about 2 weeks to process) and have proof of smart serve certification for all servers as well as proof of liability insurance of no less than 2 million, which names the municipality as the assured party. Liability insurance can also be purchased from the County. 

  • How early should I book my event?


    As early as possible! Our bookings are managed on a first come, first booked basis. We have some very popular halls that book up quickly. To make sure that you get the hall that you want, call 613.476.2148 x4007 or email